I was recently invited to participate in a new group blog project. FeminaAequalitas.com is the pet project of SpellboundScribes blogger Nicole Evalina. The purpose of the blog is to examine issues affecting both men and women. Here’s a snippet from the blog’s About page…
We’re a group of men and women who are searching for equality among the sexes in our lives and in our world. We have opinions on things going on in the world around us – in pop culture (movies, music, books, TV, etc.), world news, politics and in our own lives. We’re here to share those thoughts in order to foster healthy discussion and grow a community of like-minded individuals. We are desirous of change, but aren’t necessarily traditional activists.
If that piques your curiosity, here’s a link to my introductory post.
There’s a definite overlap between the bloggers here at the SpellboundScribes and the people who will be creating posts for FeminaAequalitas.com, though I think the tone on the new blog will be somewhat more serious. For today, though, this is all new and fresh and fun, and I thought I’d come up with a list of reasons that I’m a feminist…
10. Because my life is good, but not every woman can say that.
9. Because everyone needs to call the NFL on its bullshit.
8. Because I’d earn more money if I had a Y-chromosome.
7. Because someone needs to step up and prove there’s more going on than the #feminazi stereotype.
6. Because by age 16, girls learn how to avoid sexual assault, but boys don’t.
5. Because ideas of hyperdefined masculinity hurt boys as much as traditional female stereotypes hurt women.
4. Because #RapeCulture exists.
3. Because my son needs a role model.
2. Because my daughter needs a role model.
1. Because I’m old enough to remember when being a feminist was cool.
Well now, I hope you run right over to the new blog. Thanks for playing along!